My Photo
Name:
Location: Sun City, Arizona, United States

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Update on brother Ray

I spoke with Sandy Rye this morning in Eau Claire, Wi. and Ray has taken 40 steps. He needs help to stand up but his muscles are weak after being bed bound for months . Sandy is rearranging the house for when he returns home and he will need the assistance of a wheel chair.We all pray and are inspired by his valiant fight for recovery as he has done so many times before. Ray is truly a miracle man , a man for our time.

On a lighter note, I will have lunch tomorrow with my son,Dan, in Phoenix. Dan is leaving for Seattle for the weekend to get his vessel ready for summer. He has designed a holder that will serve as a site where he can anchor the two kayaks that he is placing aboard.

Also, on Wednesday last, I had lunch with two of my Hills high school graduates of the class of 1945. They were Margaret Bakk Thornton and Kenneth Berghorst and Claireabelle. Margaret gave me several weeks of The Hills Crescent, the home town weekly newspaper. In the 50 years ago column, several of my students were recognized for their successes in the district speech competition. They did however fail to mention the speech teacher who was yours truly.
The previous fall, the speech teacher from Worthington had encouraged me to start a debate team so he could have some competition in the district. I picked eight of the gifted students and we started to defeat them at an alarming rate.
So the Worthington coach hired his competition as his assistant. The opening day of the next school year at Worthington, the head coach took a position in the Twin Cities and I became the head man in a big school speech program. We opened up opportunities for more students and had the most successful year in that schools history including the winning of the lMinnesota states one act play competition.
We produced Gilbert and Sullivans play ,Box and Cox. Donna's sister, Caroline, was living in England and she supplied me with records of the English cockney speech habits and my students masked them to a T.
One student, Carl Swanson, who his country school teacher had labeled him.Moussy, went on to star in all of the major productions at Augustana College, my alma mater, in Sioux Falls, S.Dak.He later had Elsie Anderson's daughter as a student in Brandon, S.Dak. A small world, indeed.
"All the worlds a stage, and each man in his life plays many parts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home