My Photo
Name:
Location: Sun City, Arizona, United States

Monday, April 03, 2006

From the 1907 diary of Gullik Nelson Rye

April 2, l907-I had nothing to do and the day seemed very long. Ha, HaHa.
April 3, 1907 -Warm weather-H.. to me over to H..S eve.
April 4 -Cold n. wind, I dragged all day. Ole hagen discked.
April 5, -Cold wind, I went over to M. Opehim for a load of hay-Ole Hagen discked
April 6 -Cold wind a m , rain pm, I dragged.
April 7, Sunday -Cold weather, P. Rye and H.Rogness came and met in eve.
April 8, - cold weather, I did chorse. Ole Hagen sowed
April 9 -Very cold n wind, I did chorse in the a m.- I went long walk with Halvor to
Beaver Creek.(Glenn's note) If this was from the Sundem farm it would have
been about five miles, one way.
April 10- -Very cold weather, I went with Halvor to Hills, am. I went over to Rogness and
stayed.
April 11 -Very cold n wind. I started to work for Nels Rogness. discked all day.

April 12 -Very cold weather, I chopped wood all day
April 13 - Very Cold n wind Went to Valley Springs, sd.Chopped wood all day
- Glenn's note this area inMinnesota is 3 miles fromS.Dak & 5 from Iowa>)

The little time saver diary from 1907 contained some of the following facts.

Population of every state and territory:Arizona;140,276: Colorado;602,925:Minnesota;,l,972,949: South Dakota;428.055.
Automobile speed laws in the United States: Arizona;No laws relating to the automobile in this state: Colorado; no laws: Minnesota; 4 miles at crossings; 8 miles in built up parts ,25 m elsewhere: South Dakota;10 m in closely built up areas and 15 m. elsewhere. New York;10 m. in built up sections; 15 miles where houses are less than loo feet apart; 20 m in country.
Oregon: 8 m in built up areas also when in coutry when within 100 feet of horse drawn vehicles.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting post from 1907 diary! I am working on Rogness family geneology in the Luverne, MN (Rock County) area. The Nels Rogness mentioned may be a great great uncle of mine :) If you have any other Rogness info I'd love to hear from you.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home