My Photo
Name:
Location: Sun City, Arizona, United States

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

these are the songs we sung


The Banks of Marble. by Lee Rice
This song of protest from the depression era has echoes of earlier grievances that played a part in American politics. It could have been sung by the Free oilers, The Silverites, or the Wobblies.
I've traveled round this country
Trom shore to shining shore;
It really made me wonder,
The things I heard and saw.
I saw the weary farmer
Plowing his soil and loam;
I heard the auction hammer
Just a knocking down his home.
But the banks are made of marble,
With a guard at every door,
And the vaults are stuffed with silver
That the farmer sweataed for.
I saw the weary miner
Scurbing coal dust from his back;
And I heard his children crying,
"We got no coal to heat the shack."
Chorus
I saw the seaman standing
Idly by the shore;
And I heard the owner saying,
"Got no work for you no more":
Chorus
I saw my brothers working
Throughout this mighty land.
And I prayed we'd get together,
And together make a stand.
Then we'd own those banks of marble,
With a guard at every door.
And we'd share those vaults of silver
That we have sweatee d for.

2 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Rye said...

You deserve an "A" for posting these wonderfuly snowy mountain scenes. Are you homesick for the Rockies where you must have spent many happy hour/days/weeks while living in CO?

Bernie

10:34 PM  
Blogger Glenn Rye said...

You have done a remarkable job displaying family pictures from past to present. Also, you have a knack for selecting poems to accompany the pictures. I look forward to each new entry on your Blog.

Ann

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home