My Photo
Name:
Location: Sun City, Arizona, United States

Monday, August 06, 2007

DBack time

The young dback time must have read the new book by Caral Ripken, the legendary player for they display perserverance. Thanks to my son, Dan I have attended several games and watch the rest on the tv. Tomorrow night I get to go to the Pirates came and I trust it will be as exciting as ever.
Continuing with : As we roamed this land together, these are the songs we sung....

The Little Orphan Girl..

Probalby an English broadside ballad imparted into this country in the late 18th or 19th century, this ballad has been widely collected in North Carolina, Tennesee and Kentucky.It sketches a pathetic picture of a homeless, hungry orphan perishing in the snow outside a rich man's door, while inside the coldly indifferent man enjoys his laden table and confortaable couch.

" "No home,no home," said a little
girl!
At the door of a rich man's home
She trembling stood on the marble
steps,
And leaned on the polished wall.
Her clothes were thin and her feet
were bare,
And the snowflakes covered her head.
"Let me come in," she feebly said"
Please give me a little bread."
As the little girl still trembling stood
Before the rich man's door
With a frowning face he scornfully
said,
"No room, no bread for the poor."
The rich man went to his table
so fine
Where he and his family were fed.
And the orphan stood in the snow
so deep,
As she cried for a piece of bread.
The rich man slept on his velvet
couch,
And he dreamt of his silver and gold,
While the orphan lay in a bed of snow,
And murmered,"So cold, so cold."
The hours rolled on through the
midnight storm,
Rolled on like a funeral bell,
The sleet came down in a blinding
sheet,
And the drifting snow still fell.
When morning came the little girl
Still lay at the rich man's door.
But her soul had fled away to its home
Where there 's room and there's
bread for the poor."

2 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Rye said...

Cal Ripken is an inspiration to all who have known him and know of him.

How about the D-backs last game! If they can keep that pace, AZ will be in the play-offs.

I couldn't sing, or even read the words to "The Little Orphan Girl", without tears in my eyes.


Ann

9:52 PM  
Blogger Glenn Rye said...

Your baseball stories reminded me of a time when I was Team Mother, then graduated to Scorekeeper, for the Little League teams my sons played for. It was hectic because the boys were drafted by different teams. One was a Giant, the other a Brave. Different practice nights, and different game nights, except when the Giants and Braves played each other.

Once a year, there was a game featuring the mothers of the team members. First of all, I wore my older son's uniform, a Giant. I played first base without errors!!! When I came up to bat, there were two outs. I hit a single. I was elated! As I ran to first base, I hoped my sons would be proud of their mom. The next batter struck out. Was that the end of my career? No way!

To all of you who read this blog: Any other baseball stories out there?

Just call me "The Babe".

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home