My Photo
Name:
Location: Sun City, Arizona, United States

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Brother Ray

Ray's wife Sandy, called last night about 7 p.m. and share with me that the operation went very well and that Ray would continue to be sedated until sometime to-day.Our prayers are with Ray.

While I was on the Navaho reservation at Chinle, Az. in the 90's Ray visited me. I was unaware of his visit until he approached me as I exited the Chile High school building. It was a most welcome and pleasant surprise. That evening I told him that I had to check in on my Cheyenne friend, Marty. Ray said that he would stay home as he would have little to visit about,modest as usual. Well, it turned out that Marty had lived in Alaska and Ray served there during the Korean war. Needless to say, a pleasant evening was had by all and it was I that did'nt have anything to add to the discussion.
That day had been school count day and the administrators had free pizza for the parents and everyone and everyone showed up and money was recieved from the state for many students that seldom showed up. So Ray visited my classroom the next day and we had a camera. Ray and I walked across the hall to Marty's classroom and informed the class that Ray was the state inspector and we were going to take pictures to see who didn't show up that day. Marty went along with it and we lined up all the students and took their pictures. We kept a straight and sober face and Marty enjoyed it so much that he later took Ray and entered my classroom and gave the same spiel. Ray put on a great act but I don't know if he appreciated being labeled as a state employee.
Ray had his car in Alaska and when he got discharged he and his good friend ,Wes, proceeded to drive down to the states in the not too well improved, at that time, Alaskan highway. Needless to say, his 48 Ford broke down and a trucker agrreed to haul them in the back of his large, covered truck. There was no room in the cab as the trucker had already picked up two other stranded people. Ray and Wes had to ride in his car, in the van, in the dark. Needless to say, it was a dark and harrowing experience. And bumpy. At one of the rest stops Ray and Wes tried to con the two people in the cab as to how nice it was to ride in comfort and stretch out in the comfortable car. They weren't buying so Ray and Wes had to endure the long trip in the cold, dark van.
Ray was born on the Gunderson farm outside of Hills, Mn. at home. My sister, Vivian, was the only family member born in a hospital. Ray had yellow yondes(SP) and was very frail and not expected to survive. The minister and a nurse from the cities who was visiting her family in Hills came to our home.The belief was that you had to be baptized to be saved.
Some many years later Ray was visiting the home of Duane Nelson and Marilyn Sather Nelson and a retired nurse relative of Marilyn was visiting from the city and I believe her name was Sigrud Sather. She appoached Ray and asked him which of the Ryes he was and he said, Ray.
Sigurd said, I thought you died. She was the nurse that had been called to Rays and Mom's bedside so many years earlier.
Ray and Sandy, my great nephew, Todd Nelson, got together at Wassuas,Mn on the Mississippi last summer. Later Ray and Sandy attended the 50th wedding anniversay of our sister, Vivian, and Donald Helgeson. Don had a faulty difibrillator replaced also and gave Ray an bad time because nobody paid any attention to him while Ray got a full page spread and pictures in the Mpls. paper. See my August 10th,2005 post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home