My Photo
Name:
Location: Sun City, Arizona, United States

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I ride an Old Paint


Many of the cowboy songs that have come down to us from the 19th century were originally sung not primarily to pass the long, often lonely hours on a cattle trail, but to keep control over the herd. Easy, loping songs such as "I Ride an Old Paint" had a lulling effect on the cattle, and would calm them during a thunderstorm or after other unexpected sounds that might induce a stampede. A"Paint" is a spotted horse such as a pint; "dogies " are motherless calves with swelled bellies or (dough-guts)from eating grass. "coulees" are ravinelike depressions in the prairie; and to "throw the hoolian" is to leap from the saddle, grab the horns of a galloping steer, and force it to the ground, an action that is also know as bulldogging.
I ride an old paint, I lead an old Dan
I'm going to Montan' for th throw the hoolinan
They feed in the coulees , the water in the draw
Their tails are all matted, their backs are all raw.
chorus
Ride around little doggies, ride around them slow
for the fiery and the snuffy are a rarin' to go.
Old Bill Jones had two daughters and a song;
One went to Denver and the other went wrong.
His wife, she died in a pool room fight,
Still he sings from morning to night.
Chorus
Oh ,when I die, take my saddle from the wall,
Put it on my pony, lead him out of the stall,
Tie my bones to his back, turn our faces to the west,
And we'll ride the prairie that we love the best.
Chorus

3 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Rye said...

One of my favorite weekend activities in WY was horseback riding at my best friend's ranch. I wasn't an espceially good rider, but I loved being in the country around horses, dogs, and various other animals. Plenty of good food served by my friend's mother after a day on the trail.

As usual, there was good info in the Blog. I had no idea the cowboys sang to calm the horses. You even gave us a lesson on the meanings of cowboy terms.

In addition, you looked masterful atop Old Paint.

Bernie

6:45 PM  
Blogger Glenn Rye said...

p.s.

I didn't proof read my earlier message, and just now noticed I transposed a c and an e in the word especially. No "A" for me this time.

Bernie

11:25 PM  
Blogger Glenn Rye said...

Sitting tall on the saddle, looking every inch a cowboy, is the perfect picture to feature with the song, "Old Paint", giving us yet another look at your exciting past.

Ann

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home