My Photo
Name:
Location: Sun City, Arizona, United States

Thursday, February 09, 2006

This is day

Yes, to-day I am 79 years of age. I was born at home in Valley Springs, South Dakota which is about 1 mile from Minnesota and 6 miles from Iowa.
I believe at that time my father had a Chevrolet dealership there. I found that out in 1951 or 1952 when I was operating two John Deere hay balers in the Hills, Minnesota area. I baled for some cousins of mine, the Opheim Brothers and Sisters and they had a 190-31 four door Chevrolet sedan and a 1927 Chevrolet truck that they had purchased ne from my father.
In the 70's I learned more about it when my son, Dan, was in law school at ASU. He was assigned to look up a contract law case . He learned that it was from Minnessota and it was Rye VS Phillips. He looked closer and it was filed in Rock County, Minnesota. He was then to find out that it was filed by his grandfataher, my father, Gullik Nelson Rye. Dad had accepted some livestock in lieu of payment for a vehicle and somewhere or other that negated the contract and my father lost the case. Anyhow, it made it into the law books.
When I was five I had accumulated a shiny dime so the neighbor girl, Doris Jacobson and I headed down the railroad tracks bound for Sioux Falls. Forunately somewhata spotted us and returned us home. The house I was born in still stands. Other important people born or lived in VAlley Springs include Keith and Kent Anderson, their sister , Anita and their Mother, the fabulous Elsie Anderson and the poet lauraete of South Dakota, Ms. Adeliade Jenny.
My next recollection was when we moved to the Thompson farm four miles west and three miles north of Hills, Minnesota.
My sister, Beverly, at about three years of age had to have her tonsils out, at home of course, on the kitchen table. They wouldn't let me watch but when it was over they decided that for the extra five dollars they could take mine out also. They don't make house calls like that anymore.
The Gullik Nelson farm was two miles north of our farm and they had an ice house.On one occassion I was knowed to have wandered up[ there and was treated to ice cream
We also had a DeLavaval cream separater. Witht the bowl in it it took a long time to get it up to the point where the bell on the handle stopped sounding and that was the time to turn on the raw milk spout and the cream would be separated from the milk.
On empty you could turn the handle easily and get the bell to stop ringing. The separator had a litte door that you could open and see the exposed gears. I was turning the handle and my brother, Ray, thought he saw a mouse in the gear box and reached for it. When he withdrew his hand one finger was a little shorter. He finger was treated by dipping it in kerosine. To this day he does not have a complete finger nail on that finger. Sorry Ray.
The 30's was an era of gangsters and bank robbers like John Dillinger roaming the country.On new year's eve in 1936 some gangsters from Sioux City tied some other gangster up at the county explosive storage yard east of Sioux Falls and then set fuses to detonate. Windows all over Sioux Falls were blown out and our house in Minnesota some 14 miles away visibly shook.
My Dad took his shotgun and walked outside for what seemed to be a long time. I hide in a closet where no one could se me from the outside. I don't think that we found out until the next day what it was all about. My Dad knew a little about dynamite for we had some big cottonwood trees down in the pasture along the road. He must have drilled holes at the base of the tree andI can still see the big tree rise up a bit and crash to the ground.
When the field corn was ready for canning they would chop the corn stalk off at the base and haul it home on the hayrack. They would then husk the corn and throw the husk back on the hayrack. There was a team of black horses on the wagon with the lines tied up on the post high up on the front of the wagon. I was on the hayrack when someone threw their knife on the wagon after cutting some corn off the cob. It spooked the horses and they galloped away. I climbed up the from of the wagon and tried to stop them as they ran down the driveway. I guess that I wasn't a strong enough horseman as they ran into a big cottonwood tree ,one on each side and we then stopped rather quickly.
Another horse story,brother Ray walked a horse that wandered freely in the yard. Ray was 2 or 3 and the horse realized someone was behind him and kicked Ray.













jacobson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home